Tennessee - Saturday, October 13, 8:00p.m.
State looks to be getting some players back this week just in time for the biggest game of the season against the Volunteers of Tennessee. As usual coach Mullen addressed injuries in his Monday morning press conference. Let's take a look at what he had to say, as well as who will and won't play this weekend against the orange and white:
- After being listed as questionable and rumored to return to the field for the past several weeks, we finally have confirmation from coach Mullen that talented tight end and preseason Mackey Award candidate Malcolm Johnson will return to action this weekend. Johnson, who has been out all season recovering from a preseason pectoral injury, could not be returning at a better time for State, as the tight end position has been one that has struggled for MSU in the last several games.
TE Malcolm Johnson upgraded to probable and is expected to play this week, says Dan Mullen.— Brandon Marcello (@bmarcello) October 8, 2012
- Also good news is that Sr. DL Devin Jones has been upgraded from questionable to probable this week as he has been recovering from a shoulder injury. Jones did not play against Kentucky last Saturday.
- Fr. DB Cedric Jiles will again be out this week, recovering from a broken hand.
Injury report: TE Malcolm Johnson probable, DL Devin Jones probable, CB Cedric Jiles out.— bradlocke (@bradlocke) October 8, 2012
- RG Tobias Smith, who has been riddled with injuries not only this season but throughout his career, again was limited last week against Kentucky. The Senior RG should play "a bunch" this week, says Dan Mullen, after being limited in previous games. Fr. Justin Malone has been starting in his place.
Mullen said RG Tobias Smith, who played some last week, hadn't practiced since Auburn game. Is practicing this week, should play "a bunch."— bradlocke (@bradlocke) October 10, 2012
- After serving what turned out to be a 4 game suspension to start the season, Tupelo So. DT P.J. Jones returned to action last weekend for State, drawing the start and playing a few snaps, although not registering a tackle. I missed that Saturday, mostly because he didn't do much in the way of big plays or tackles, but it's still huge for him to have come back last week. State will need all the up front depth they can get, and Jones' talent is undeniable. Having him back for Kentucky means he got to shake some of the rust off and will be ready to go Saturday under the lights against Tennessee. Big timing getting him and Malcolm Johnson back right before heading into the teeth of that schedule.
Correct. RT @maroonwyatt: confirmed: PJ Jones dressed and will play today. Malcolm Johnson here, not dressed. Tobias Smith could see action.— Joe Galbraith (@joestate) October 6, 2012
Summary - Injuries/Suspension for the Tennessee game
DB - Cedric Jiles - broken hand
TE - Malcolm Johnson - pectoral
DL - Devin Jones - shoulder
RG - Tobias Smith - all over
Back from suspension
DT - P.J. Jones