All the News and Notes from around Bulldog country today including Mississippi State - Oklahoma State to kick off 2013 is finally official, football recruiting, basketball recruiting, stats, snow bowl helmets, and so, so much more.
Sometimes we say News and Notes is going to be jam-packed that day, but for REAL this time, it's gonna be jam packed today. Some days you just wake up thinking it's gonna be a nice, quiet news day and then BOOM! A newspolision happens. That's basically what happened yesterday, as State - Mississippi AND Oklahoma - both declared their intentions to do battle to begin 2013, after the game had been reported for well over a month.
Also yesterday there was commitments, Strange Brew signs, and so, so much more. Let's get right to it, shall we?
- Yesterday's big news was that after being reported for a good while, it has finally become official that Mississippi State and Oklahoma State will kickoff the 2013 football season in the inaugural Texas Kickoff Classic at Reliant Stadium in Houston, Texas. The game was first reported to be in the making by Fox 26 in Houston, and then ESPN's Brett McMurphy reported it as well several weeks ago. Finally yesterday Oklahoma State's athletic department confirmed the report, and Mississippi State followed suit shortly thereafter.
- So what does this game mean for MSU? Well, for starters, it means the haters can quiet down a bit on the soft non-conference schedule argument posed against State. It also means State fans will have a fun travel destination for next Labor Day Weekend, which should draw a big Mississippi State crowd, I would imagine.
- You can read up on all of the news on yesterday's big announcement in our storystream, and you can also check out Marcello's blog, Carskadon's blog, and Locke's blog entry.
- MSU has already announced a 10,500 ticket allotment for the game, and the ticket office is already taking orders.
- One major concern that I have heard people bring up with regards to the game is the potential to then fall under the coveted 7 home game schedule for the 2013 season. That fear was schwelched yesterday by our own AD Scott Stricklin, who promises more details about the 2013 schedule soon:
- According to Brandon Marcello, MSU was scheduled to travel to UAB next season, which coupled with this neutral site game and an SEC schedule featuring road trips to Texas A&M, Tennessee, Auburn, and Arkansas, seemed to mean State would fall just under the 7 game home schedule for the season. With the money to be made off of ESPN (who is the creator of the Texas Kickoff Classic), I would imagine State will either cancel the UAB return home game or postpone it to a later season, and schedule another non-conference foe in their place. It will be interesting to see how the schedule shakes out if it does, in fact, end up getting released several weeks from now.
- Hidden amongst all of the schedule talk yesterday was MSU's newest football commitment, Tylertown WR Tyre'oune Holmes. Our own JLgrindin said way back in the summer that Holmes would definitely commit to MSU once he received his offer, and he finally did get that offer this week. If you don't know much about Holmes, here's a highlight video of his. You can also read where Holmes talked with C-L's John Talty about his decision to commit.
- Some good stuff from our friend Bob Carskadon, who takes a look at the numbers behind the big matchup coming Saturday.
- For Halloween, Derek Dooley decided to go as Sylvester Croom!
- We told you guys yesterday that Piney Woods C Dwight Coleby announced he plan to commit Thursday, but that press conference was called off indefinitely. There is scuttlebutt that Coleby will make his decision public Friday, but nothing official yet. He is considering MSU, but is expected to choose between either Ole Miss or Memphis. Add to the report of Coleby committing tomorrow this from 24/7's Paul Jones ($), who says Coleby told him he plans to hold off committing until November and to sign shortly thereafter in the early signing period. So basically, yeah, who knows.
- A look at the Snow Bowl helmets for the Texas A&M game in just under a month, which are under production:
That's it for today's News and Notes folks, hope you have a great Maroon Friday that goes by quickly! I know you guys are as ready for and excited about Saturday night as I am. Hail State!
FRIDAY BONUS VIDEO:
Black Crowes Hard to Handle Live on Letterman 1990 (via danschutz)