I can haz News and Notes?
All of your News and Notes from around Bulldog nation including Dan Mullen's Monday press conference, MSU Basketball preseason media predicted finish, baseball, and more.
Another short News and Notes this morning folks, and I apologize in advance. We are busy trying to prepare Bama previews, I am getting ready to head out of town for work this weekend, yadadadadsa GENERIC EXCUSE HERE. Now, enough of my whining, enjoy today's MSU News and Notes
- Dan Mullen held his weekly Monday press conference yesterday at the Bryan Building to talk about MSU football heading into Saturday's huge showdown in Tuscaloosa with the Alabama Crimson Tide. Here's the video of what he had to say:
- If you're a reader more than a video watcher, here's the highlights from the transcript of his chat, via HailState.com:
"Coming off last week's game, after watching the film, I am pleased by the way our guys performed in all three phases. [...] We still have things we to improve on this week. It should be a great challenge for us playing a team that does not show many weaknesses. They are very well coached, well-disciplined and filled with talent at every position. They have had a top recruiting class for each of the last four or five years. Everyone on their roster is a four or five star prospect. They get those guys in position to make plays and have a real physical team. They don't make many mistakes and do not turn the ball over. They pound on you and pound on you and wait for you to make a mistake as the game goes on. [...] "
On gaining respect...
"For our guys, I think they say that because they hear everyone ask them that question. For our guys, they respect themselves and each other and that's really the only respect you need as a football team. What people say outside our building is their opinion. [...]."
On A.J. McCarron...
"He does a good job at not forcing the ball into bad situations. His protection helps that with all of the experience and talent on the offensive line. A lot of times you will see interceptions come after a sack and after a lot of pressure. [...] Statistically, he is the best quarterback we have played thus far."
- So the preseason SEC basketball media predictions were released yesterday, and things were about what we expected for Mississippi State in the 2012-13 season. The men's basketball team was predicted to finish in 14th (last) place for the '12-'13 campaign, which is expected as the team will look to replace 12 members of last year's squad. No surprise here either, as Kentucky is selected to finish 1st in the conference in 2012-13.
- Did Jackie Wayne Sherill sleep with a CBS exec's wife or something? This is ridiculous. It was anticipated, at least by me if no one else, that State's matchup with Texas A&M two Saturdays from now would be televised as the 2:30 game on CBS. Then today the SEC announced that CBS has exercised the 6 day rule for the second time this season, which gives them until Sunday to select between three games: Missouri - Florida, Ole Miss - Georgia, and MSU - A&M. Usuaully I wouldn't care or be surprised at all for them to pick Florida or Georgia, but with CBS and ESPN's agreement, LSU - Alabama will be on CBS at 7:30 that evening, and all games not selected for the 2:30 slot will be played before, or at 11:00 a.m. So basically State's biggest home game of the season could now fall to a before noon kickoff, oh and that's following Bulldog Bash on Friday night. Yes there's still a chance of us getting selected, but knowing CBS' tendencies and dislike for MSU, I'm not holding my breath.
- If you are worried about basketball season, you should have plenty to look forward to in February next year:
That's all for today folks. Hope you have a mediocre to slightly decent Tuesday!