All of your News and Notes from around the world of Mississippi State sports including Banks being a Lott Trophy Quarterfinalist, Q&A with LaDarius Perkins, assistant coach and player interviews, BSR Watch Party, top teams in turnovers, and more.
It was a really, really quiet day around the world of Mississippi State sports yesterday, but lets take a look at a few News and Notes that did occur yesterday:
Johnthan Banks was named a Quarterfinalist for the Lott IMPACT Trophy yesterday. The award, named for NFL Hall of Famer Ronnie Lott, honors honors the student-athlete who has the biggest IMPACT on his team on and off the field each season. Banks is the first MSU quarterfinalist in the award's history. Pretty neat, and well deserving for Banks.
- It's simply amazing to think that overlooked in all of the hulabaloo over Tyler Russell's outstanding season thus far is that RB LaDarius Perkins is leading the SEC in rushing. Bob Carskadon got a chance to catch up with Perk, and ask him a few questions on his season thus far, the Alabama game, and more.
- Players and assistant coaches alike took time out to talk with the media on Monday, and you can check out a few of those videos here, including talks with Cam Lawrence, DC Chris Wilson, Tyler Russell, and a few others.
- If you'll be around Jackson Saturday night and aren't heading to Tuscaloosa for the game, make sure you stop by Burgers and Blues and check out the Bulldog Sports Radio Watch Party. Here's a little info on the party:
Bulldog fans and friends are invited to come and cheer on the Dawgs as they face the Alabama Crimson Tide. The game will be shown on a big screen in the dining room and throughout the restaurant, and 10% of appetizers, entrées, and desserts ordered during the game will go to the Make-A-Wish Foundation Mississippi. But that’s not all! Raffle tickets will be available for great prizes at just $5 each, and 100% of the raffle sales will go to Make-A-Wish.
Grand prizes include a pair of tickets to the November 17th Arkansas vs. Mississippi State game, as well as a helmet and football autographed by Dan Mullen, and a baseball autographed by John Cohen. Also up for grabs are terrific gift certificates for local businesses, like Table 100, Mozingo Clothiers, Amerigo Restaurant, Hangin’ Out, McDade’s Wine & Spirits, Eat Jackson, plus many more. One raffle ticket gets you a chance at any of these prizes, but we’ll let you buy as many tickets as you want. The more you buy, the better your chances.
- A good read on Gene Chizik and Auburn, and whether or not Chizik can weather a SEC winless season and keep his job.
- From TideSports.com, a look at how Saturday's matchup pits two teams from the top 5 nationally in turnover margin against each other.
- A nice photo gallery from Mississippi State's 45-3 win over Middle Tennessee State.
- The weekly Numerical from Bill Connelley. Definitely worth your time.
- Houston HS defensive end Chris Jones, an MSU commit, has garnered even more attention this week. The once diamond-in-the-rough turned **** prospect has now been invited to the Under Armour All American Game.
- Just like in the men's side, the Kentucky women were selected yesterday by the media as the favorites to win the SEC in basketball this season. Mississippi State, in its first year under new coach Vick Schafer, is predicted to finish 11th.
Houston (Miss.) head coach Billy Cook tells Bulldawgs247 that sr def end and 2013 MSU commit Chris Jones invited to Under Armour AA game— Paul Jones (@PJ247Sports) October 22, 2012
That's it for today's News and Notes folks. Have a good one!