- First up today is the news that Tyler Russell was added to the Maxwell Award watch list yesterday. The award is presented annually to the most outstanding collegiate football player in America. Russell was one of seven players added to the expanded watch list yesterday, which now features the top 85 players in the nation. Semifinalists for the award are announced next week on October 29, with finalist announced shortly after that on November 19. One thing is for sure, if Tyler has a big weekend and the Bulldogs can somehow pull out a victory over the #1 Crimson Tide, I would expect to see his name on that semifinalist list the following Monday.
- On Sunday we told you about the opening odds between Mississippi State and Alabama, which saw Alabama open as a 24 point favorite. To many people, including myself, that seemed a bit high, given State's success this season. Yesterday Roll Bama Roll took a poll, asking their readers their thoughts on the spread as well. A surprising 46% (at the time that this was written) of their readership believed the line was set too high, as many of us did. A lot of the commenters there thought along the same lines as me, that it might have been closer to the 14-17 range, but nevertheless, it sits at 24 even today, two days before the game. Either way, an interesting read if only to gauge the opinion of it from the other side.
- Speaking of Roll Bama Roll, I would also advise you to check out their daily Jumbo Package post, if you aren't already. The guys do a great job there bringing Bama fans all of the pertinent news from around the crimson interwebs.
- Bob Carskadon talks about the similarities between Mississippi State and Alabama.
- Yesterday was SEC teleconference day, and both Dan Mullen and Alabama coach Nick Saban jumped on to talk about this weekend's big game. You can check out what Dan had to say here, and what Nicholas had to say here.
That's all for today. EARLY BONUS VIDEO, because you've been good:
Threw It On The Ground (via thelonelyisland)