After a quick weekend in God's country, the news and notes is back to the grind just like you guys on this Monday morning. Hope you all had a great weekend, and if you graduated, congrats! Here's your news and notes to start the week off right:
- Congrats go out to the softball dogs, who last night earned a berth in this year's NCAA Tournament, and Thursday will face Brigham Young to open the tournament at the Eugene Regional. Oregon, the 11th overall seed and the host of the Bulldog's regional, is also included along with Portland State. Full bracket can be viewed here. 9 of the 11 SEC softball programs that participate made the regional - WOW.
- State's baseball team found themselves in a tough matchup this weekend, traveling to Gainesville to take on #6 Florida. On Friday, Chris Stratton took his first loss of the season in a 4-1 loss to the Gators and Hudson Randall. On Saturday, groundball wizard Kendall Graveman did his thing, forcing 14+ groundball outs and earning a win in State's 2-0 victory. Jonathan Holder came in a finished the last two innings of for State, and again was impressive. The final game of the series didn't go State's way however, as they fell 2-1 on a late Mike Zunino HR off of Jacob Lindren. The good from the weekend? The pitching staff, even against a loaded Florida lineup, remained outstanding, only giving up 4 earned runs all weekend. The bad? Obviously the bad again was the offensive lineup, which mustered a grand total of 4 runs all weekend long. State left 13 on base in the Saturday win, and left 13 on base again in the 2-1 Sunday loss. Think that pitching staff is pissed? I would be. It obviously hurts not having CT Bradford in the lineup, and Norris has been struggling still with injuries it seems. One thing is for sure: if State doesn't find some form of offense here in the final weekend series and headed into both the SEC and NCAA Tourney's, they will be wrapping up the season in a disappointing fashion I have no doubt.
- Saw this on Sixpack this weekend: Floyd "Pork Chop" Womack graduated this weekend. Don't know what Pork Chop has been up to lately since his early NFL playing days, but kudos to him for coming back to get his degree.
- Gearing up for the NBA Draft soon, SBNation went over some sleepers for the draft, and Arnett Moultrie was one of them. If you care about such things, you may not.
- Men's tennis finished off an outstanding 2012 campaign this weekend with a disappointing loss to Baylor in the championship match of the regional, held in Starkville. Although I know Per and Co. are disappointed in ending the season this early, congrats to them on another outstanding season and another SEC West championship.
- The Falcons webpage is reporting that Charles Mitchell has signed his contract with Atlanta. I didn't see any #'s on the deal, but will keep looking and can hopefully have those to you soon.
Forgot to mention this before, but if you see or know of any other newsworthy information that I missed above, leave it in the comments! Have a great day Dogs.
Follow For Whom the Cowbell Tolls on Twitter.
Like For Whom the Cowbell Tolls on Facebook.