Notes! Notes! Hot off the presses get your News and Notes here! It's Tuesday morning, and we have some news and notes for you from yesterday's headlines. It may be hard to bring these too you as the summer months roll in and news becomes thin, but we'll try!
- After winning its 3rd straight weekend series and 4th out of the last 5, State climbed back into the Baseball America Top 25 yesterday at the #25 position. State was in the Top 25 earlier this year, but fell out when we lost our first two SEC series to LSU and Arkansas. State also moved up to #26 in the Perfect Game poll, where we were ranked #40 last week.
- State was scheduled to play a double header today against Mississippi Valley State in order to make up a game that was rained out earlier in the season, but school officials announced yesterday that the game was rescheduled to a single game that will start at 6:30. Reason? RPI, probably.
- After State won its series and LSU defeated Ole Miss in Oxford this weekend, State sits tied for 2nd in the SEC West with Arkansas. Many of us wondered if State still has any chance to host, and yesterday a State fan posed that question to Perfect Game's Kendall Rogers on Twitter. Here's Kendall's response:
- That's about what most of us expected: win both series and we host. I would also think if you win at least one game in one series and win the other series, State could still host possibly if it has a strong showing in the SEC Tournament. That will be easier said than done though, as State's next 2 opponents, Florida and Kentucky, are #6 and #7, respectively in the country.
- We told you last week that former MSU baseball star Tyler Moore got called up to the Major Leagues with the Washington Nationals. This week, Clarion Ledger's Rod Walker caught up with the former MSU and North Rankin star to ask him what his first week in the majors was like.
- In non-MSU related news yesterday, I traded away Jose Bautista for Dustin Pedroia. You guys think that was a good or bad move? Keep in mind, I am a Red Sox fan #DustinManCrush
- You're going to want to make sure you bookmark our blog, especially by May 24th.
- We're compiling lists of topics to cover this summer when actual sports seasons are non-existent. Have any ideas you want to see us talk about? Email, tweet or Facebook us and we'll add them to our list.
- Rece Davis has been added to NCAA Football for this summer's 2013 edition. No confirmation yet on if Dr. Lou made it on the game as well, or if there will be any cheat codes which make him and Mark May argue about Notre Dame for 20 minutes on your buddy's screen #torture. That link also included other updates featured in this year's edition of the game.
- DID YOU KNOW: MSU baseball is 10-1-1 all-time against a college called University of The South. That was between 1915 and 1927, and no I have no idea what school that may be today. I'm sure that Ole Miss claims that name (but not that record).
- Last night was the long-anticipated debut episode of Madkin and Moulds on Bulldog Sports Radio. The guys did a great job in their first show, and hey even their old coach Jackie Wayne Sherrill stopped by! Make sure you check the replay of the show out at Bulldog Sports Radio, on the app in the on-demand section, or in the lineup again tomorrow. Also, make sure you follow the guys at their new Twitter account for the show!
- Yesterday Jon Bois of SBNation photoshopped pictures of Buck Showalter into some pretty funny movie scenes. Enjoy.
- The finalists were named for the Ferris Trophy, which is given each year to the state's most outstanding baseball player. No surprise here, as Chris Stratton represents the Bulldogs in the finalists, joining Delta State's Colton Mitchell and Ole Miss' Alex Yarbrough. Congrats to all 3 on the nomination.
Have a great day boys and girls.
Follow For Whom the Cowbell Tolls on Twitter.
Like For Whom the Cowbell Tolls on Facebook.