via the scrillions
News and Notes is back after a 3-day suspension as we were being tested for possible steroid (horse tranquilizer) abuse. Good news, we were cleared!
- Not that this is surprising to anyone at all, but Jackson Prep QB prospect Ryan Buchanan committed to Ole Miss on Monday. Buchanan chose Ole Miss over Florida, Alabama, Mississippi State, and others.
- Chris Stratton was the first Bulldog selected in the 2012 MLB Draft on Monday night. Stratton was taken 20th overall by the San Fransisco Giants. As of the completion of day 2 of the draft (through round 15), Stratton remains the only Bulldog, currently on the roster or signee, to be selected.
- The Birmingham News released it's All-SEC teams Sunday, and MSU defensive stars Johnthan Banks and Cameron Lawrence were selected as 1st team members. Guard Gabe Jackson was also selected to the 2nd team.
- The football team officially welcomed 19 new faces to Starkville on Monday. The list of signees now on campus includes Richie and Beniquez Brown (no relation), A.J. Jefferson, Nick Schuessler, and Will Redmond.
- Mitch Slauter, Wes Rea, Adam Frazier and Matthew Britton were all named to the Tallahassee All-Regional team.
- The Greatest Games finale is currently underway, and it's a battle of classic games versus Alabama: 1980 football vs. 2004 basketball. One beat the Bear, one won the SEC Championship. Which is the greatest? Vote today.
- So apparently MSU is one of only a handful of NCAA teams to have a football (Fletcher Cox) and baseball (Chris Stratton) player drafted in the first round of their respective professional league drafts. According to Matt Stevens, if State also has a basketball player taken in the first round (Arnett Moultrie is expected to be), then the Bulldogs will join Texas A&M as the only schools in the country to accomplish such a feat. Pretty neat.
@joestate With other schools not having a potential 1st round NBA pick, MSU would be only school in 2012 w/ NFL, MLB, NBA 1st rounder.— Matthew Stevens (@matthewcstevens) June 5, 2012
Minor correction: Texas A&M has chance to have G/F Khris Middleton drafted in NBA 1st round. So at worst, MSU and A&M would be only schools.— Matthew Stevens (@matthewcstevens) June 5, 2012
- Beyondthebets.com released their point spreads for all 56 SEC games yesterday. MSU is favored in all but @Alabama (-18), @LSU (-20), and Arkansas (-1) at home.
- From Bulldog Sports Radio intern Tabora Cook at the Birmingham stop of the Our State tour last night, here's a rendering of the new endzone expansion that I too had not seen before:
A rendering of the Davis Wade addition that I haven't seen yet. twitter.com/T_AceCook/stat…— Tabora Cook (@T_AceCook) June 4, 2012
That's it for News and Notes today. As the summer sets in, we'll be moving the News and Notes to a once a week format until football rolls back around.
No go out and have an average to above average day!
Follow For Whom the Cowbell Tolls on Twitter.
Like For Whom the Cowbell Tolls on Facebook.