July 18, 2012; Hoover, AL, USA; Mississippi State Bulldogs defensive back Johnthan Banks talks with reporters at the 2012 SEC media days event at the Wynfrey Hotel. Mandatory Credit: Marvin Gentry-US PRESSWIRE
News and Notes is back from the dead well you thought we were dead because we were gone for like a week but now we're back where did we go well we just go busy and then there was traveling for work and yadada you don't care you just want your news and notes.... right?
There's been a good bit going on in the world of Mississippi State sports lately, so let's get right down to it:
- Biggest news around campus recently is obviously the revealing of the 2012 MSU football uniforms. The uniforms were officially revealed yesterday, and the reaction from fans couldn't be more 50-50 split between love and hate. Then again, I think it'd probably be that way no matter how the jerseys were designed. I've seen a good bit of grumbling about the jerseys, yet our poll on the site shows a 57% vote FOR them and another 21% of people being like "whatever, just hurry up football." Don't blame those people one bit. I wonder if they had jersey reveals back in the day? Guy rolls in on the back of a model T sporting the latest in T. John Hedgeworth's revolutionary "#PLAGUEFREEFIT" line. Ah, the good ole days
- Also yesterday, MSU announced that the men's basketball team would take on North Carolina (raise up) in this fall's 2012 Maui Invitational. The Tar Heels lost 4 players to the NBA Draft (all in the first round) this past season, but should be loaded yet again under head coach Roy Williams. State will also potentially face either Marquette or Butler, depending on how the first game goes. State opens the tournament with Florida Atlantic at home on November 13th before traveling out to Maui for the rest of the tournament on November 19th.
- Speaking of basketball season, heartbreaking news from campus Tuesday as the school announced that projected starting point guard Jacoby Davis has torn his ACL and will miss the 2012-13 season. As mentioned, Jacoby was anticipated to be the starting PG on an already thin 2012-13 squad, so the loss is a huge blow to Coach Ray and our chances of success in the upcoming year.
- Also, Craig Sword got arrested for "weapons possession".... for a BB gun? Is this real life? You'll have to excuse me if I don't get too concerned with Craig's possession of a BB gun. Come on now. Whoever the RA was that turned him in, I hope you can watch your Battlestar Galactica alone tonight with a good conscious.
- Oh yeah, what about that Big Dawg Camp deal? Well for starters, it turned out pretty good. There wasn't a "flurry" of commitments by any means, but that was expected by most of the recruiting guys. State did gain one commitment at the camp ($ link) though from 6'3", 205 lb McAdory HS (Birmingham, Al) athlete Dezmond Harris. Harris (3* 24/7, NR Scout, NR Rivals) came to Big Dawg Camp looking for an offer from Mississippi State, and when he received it, he committed right away. The multi-talented star has played quarterback for McAdory but worked at outside linebacker and tight end at the BDC. Dezmond becomes the 12th non-binding verbal commitment in the 2013 recruiting class for MSU.
- State's September 22nd game at home versus South Alabama has been announced as a 6pm kickoff. State will take on the Jaguars on the Bulldog Sports Television Network, our pay-per-view channel. BREAKING: lots of people will probably not buy that, ya know, cause it'll be over pretty quickly. Hopefully.
- So our Athletic Director has a radio show now. Still not sure what to think about it, but nonetheless Stricklind does a pretty good job on the inaugural broadcast of the show. Scott talked with Jenny Hazelwood, the MSU women's volleyball coach, and Paul "PAAAAWWWWLLLLL" Finebaum, who well needs to introduction. You can catch the archive of the show right HERE.
- If you missed Twitter last night, Scott Stricklin wants your help "making it rain" at the 2012 Texas A&M - Mississippi State football game at Davis Wade Stadium.
wait... scratch that... he said make it SNOW. My apologies. Anyways, I'm pretty sure he was joking (and/or possibly drinking), but nevertheless Stricklin tweeted out that he was in search of a good snow machine.
First one to pump 10,000 cubic yards of snow into Davis Wade at the A&M - State game gets free Club Level seats for life! But the original Snow Bowl was in Shreveport, so it won't be authentic unless the snow kinda smells like homeless people and urine.
BONUS: Because it's Friday and you've been good, here's Erick Dampier getting picked in the 1996 NBA Draft. That suit!
1996 NBA Draft - 10 - Erick Dampier, Mississipi State (via 1987Hawkeyes)