Other than some questionable decisions made in Game 2, it was a great weekend at Dudy Noble Field as MSU took 2 of 3 from South Carolina. The Dawgs won Game 3 by a final score of 7-2.
Jacob Lindgren bounced back from some pretty rocky starts recently and got into the 5th inning before giving way to Ross Mitchell who went the rest of the way. Both pitchers gave up one run a piece.
DeMarcus Henderson had another big game in this series. The junior left fielder has come on strong of late. He went 3 for 4 in Game 1 and 3 for 3 in this one. Those did sandwich a 0 for 5 in Game 2 but still he has been hitting well - getting his average back up to .272 after it had sunk well below .250.
Some pretty cool things happened this weekend -
- Common thought was MSU needed to take 2 of 3 vs. USC to secure themselves as a Regional host, we did that
- MSU won 40 regular season games for the first time since 1997 (State made the College World Series that year)
- Dudy Noble Field eclipsed the 5,000,000 mark in attendance
- MSU broke it's all-time single-season attendance record
- State clinched the 5 seed in the SEC Tourney ahead of Ole Miss and Alabama
- 2nd consecutive year with a winning SEC record, both of them 16-14