Mississippi State junior quarterback Dak Prescott has been named to the Maxwell Award Watch List, the award that has been given to America's College Player of the Year since 1937.
The award is not restricted to only quarterbacks, and the watch list can see additions and deletions throughout the season.
Last season, Prescott threw for 1940 yards and ten touchdowns. He also ran for 13 touchdowns.
Prescott is one of 13 players from the SEC named to the list, and the only Mississippi State player on the list. The other SEC players named are as follows:
- Sammie Coats, WR, Auburn
- Jacob Coker, QB, Alabama
- Alex Collins, RB, Arkansas
- Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama
- Mike Davis, RB, South Carolina
- Jeff Driskel, QB, Florida
- Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia
- Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama
- Nick Marshall, QB, Auburn
- Bo Wallace, QB, Ole Miss
- Jonathan Williams, RB, Arkansas
- T. J. Yeldon, RB, Alabama