Today kicks off a weekend that's always a fun one in Starkville: Super Bulldog Weekend. Each year this weekend brings together fans and friends for food, fun, football, and just about every spring sport you can think of. I hope you are getting to make the trip up this weekend. Even if you aren't able to go, though, let us help you get caught up on everything going on in Starkville with today's Super Bulldog Weekend edition of MSU News & Notes.
Mississippi State Football Uniforms 2014: Commemorative uniforms for Southern Miss game officially unveiled - FWtCT
As I am more than certain you've seen by now, MSU announced yesterday special unis for this fall's season opener against Southern Miss. The game marks the kickoff of the 100th year of football at Scott Field, so the jerseys are meant to honor that and mark the occasion. As I've stated a thousand times, I like them. There's a chance a lot of fans may push for them to become our new permanent home jerseys.
Mississippi State Baseball Uniforms: Special unis unveiled for Super Bulldog Weekend - FWtCT
Football wasn't the only MSU team that Santa Adidas came to see yesterday. The baseball team also got some new duds to sport, except they won't have to wait as long to try out theirs. The Diamond Dogs will wear special uniforms for the Saturday game versus Ole Miss this weekend.
MSU, Adidas announce new deal; specialty uniforms unveiled - Hail State BEAT
As if you haven't gotten ENOUGH UNIFORM TALK, our man Bobby C breaks down the numbers on MSU's brand-spanking-new seven year deal with Adidas. Looks like Adidas will take good care of MSU in the new deal. There's also a Q&A with AD Stricklin inside as well.
Top-25 In-State Rivalry Series Set For Super Bulldog Weekend - HailState.com
Super Bulldog Weekend would draw a huge crowd to Starkville even if the baseball team was playing Little Sisters of the Poor, but when you throw in a series against rival Ole Miss on the biggest weekend in the spring, then things hit another level. This weekend will likely be nuts, the only question is if MSU can bounce back after a rough weekend last weekend or not. Ole Miss will be a big measuring stick for where the Bulldogs are currently.
Super Bulldog Weekend - HailState.com
This is the biggest weekend of the spring in Starkville, so if you're going up, make sure you don't miss out on any of the events on campus. Here's the full schedule, via HailState.com:
Friday, April 11
- 8:00 a.m.: Pig Cooking Begins (behind McArthur Hall)
- 4:00 p.m.: Pig Cooking - Farm Bureau & Mississippi Pork Producers Sampling of the Grill (McArthur Hall - at corner of Barr & Collegeview)
- 5:00 p.m.: Softball vs. Alabama (MSU Softball Field)
- 6:30 p.m.: Baseball vs. Ole Miss (Dudy Noble Field/Polk-DeMent Stadium)
Saturday, April 12
- 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.: Cotton District Arts Festival (featuring Old Cotton Mill 5K Run at 8 a.m. and 1-Mile Family Fun Run at 10 a.m.)
- 9:00 a.m. - Noon: Pig Cooking Judging (behind McArthur Hall)
- 11:00 a.m.: Pig Cooking - Mississippi Pork Producers Sampling of the Grill (McArthur Hall - at corner of Barr & Collegeview)
- 11:00 a.m.: Softball Alumni Game (MSU Softball Field)
- 11:00 a.m.: Volleyball Alumni Match (Newell Grissom Building)
- 12:00 p.m.: Maroon/White Spring Football Game (Davis Wade Stadium at Scott Field)
- 3:00 p.m.: Baseball vs. Ole Miss (Dudy Noble Field/Polk-DeMent Stadium)
- 6:00 p.m.: Softball vs. Alabama (MSU Softball Field)
- 7:00 p.m.: Old Main Music Festival (MSU Amphitheater) - Headliner: The Neighborhood; Featuring: Eric Hutchinson & The Red Thangs
Sunday, April 13
- 12:00 p.m.: Men's Tennis vs. Texas A&M (A.J. Pitts Tennis Centre)
- 1:00 p.m.: Softball vs. Alabama (MSU Softball Field)
- 1:30 p.m.: Baseball vs. Ole Miss (Dudy Noble Field/Polk-DeMent Stadium)
Mississippi State football coaches take to golf course, scorecard controversy ensues - Hail State BEAT
A little fun from the football coaches on a day off, as controversy ensures on the course.
Ross poised for breakout year for Bulldogs- Daily Journal
Good read on Fred Ross and how he's poised to break out this season. I like Ross a lot as a player, and I agree with the article that this fall could be a big one for him.
SBW 2014 Commitment Watch - 3rdand57.com
National Signing Day 2015 is approximately 1,000 months away, but that won't stop some big prospects from visiting Starkville this weekend, and potentially committing to MSU. Find out who may be on that list.
Meet the Bag Man - SBNation
I started to link this directly at the top, but if you are still reading this far down the page and somehow have not read this piece by SBNation's Steven Godfrey already, do so as soon as you can. All SBNation bias aside, this is the best piece of sports journalism that I've read in quite a while. It really was a fascinating read, from start to finish. We all knew this world exists; we've all discussed the possibilities of what goes on in the shadows at each school. And now we know, in detail, how the world of "bag men" works. Truly a remarkable read. Well done Steven.
The true NFL fan's guide to 'Draft Day' - SBNation
On the lighter side of things, there's this from the always hilarious PFTcommenter. I lol'd a few times. If you don't know who PFTcommenter is, do a little bit of reading on him before you read the article for it to make sense.
Minnesota wins Frozen Four semifinal on amazing buzzer-beater - For the Win
I'm not a hockey fan, but this is a heck of a way to win a game in any sport. Congrats Gophers.
That's it for us today folks. Hope you have a great Super Bulldog Weekend, and Hail State!