Mississippi State has rebounded following disappointing losses to Kentucky and Tennessee. The Bulldogs defeated LSU, and easily handled Texas A&M to defeat the Aggies for the 3rd time this season. But Mississippi State faces South Carolina today. This is the rematch Mississippi State has been ready for since they lost in Columbia, SC. Not much has changed as far as the home field advantage goes. The game will be played in Greenville, SC in which heavy Gamecock support will outnumber the Bulldog Faithful. But this time, it is not Mississippi State who has the pressure, it is South Carolina:
- Arena: Bon Secours Wellness Arena
- Location: Greenville, SC
- Time: 2 P.M. CT
- TV: ESPN2
- Radio: 96.1 FM Starkville Tunein
- Record (29-3, 13-3 SEC)
- RPI: 4
- SEC Standings: 2nd
- Record (26-4, 14-2 SEC)
- RPI: 3
- SEC Standings: 1st
- Alaina Coates is not expected to play in the SEC Tournament Final against Mississippi State. This is a huge loss for SC. And it just might be the difference in the game.
- SC and MSU are playing for the 2nd time this season. The first meeting was a 64-61 South Carolina win in Columbia, SC. But the Bulldogs get the rematch on the not so neutral floor of Greenville, SC.
- Mississippi State looked a lot like the dominant team we are accustomed to against Texas A&M. Following a run where MSU looked out of it in between the Georgia and the LSU games.
- Mississippi State had 11 players score a point against Texas A&M on Saturday.
- South Carolina and Mississippi State met in last year’s SEC Title Final in Jacksonville, FL. The Gamecocks won 66-52. If State were to win on Sunday, this could turn into quite a rivalry between MSU and SC.
- Morgan William has led this team to back to back wins. I expect her to be a huge advantage for the Bulldogs.
- Teaira McCowan is the X Factor. The SEC Sixth Woman of the Year can take advantage of the size advantage with Coates out of the picture.
- A’ja Wilson is going to have to have a career game to defeat Mississippi State
Before I predict, let me say what this Ladies Squad has done the past two years is incredible. Back to Back SEC Tournament Title Games is incredible. With that being said let’s analyze the game. In the first meeting MSU controlled the rebounds in the 1st half and was in position to win. But a bad 3rd quarter erased all of the hard work MSU had achieved. This team lost by 3 points with SC on their home court, with Coates, with questionable officiating, and it almost felt like MSU played their game against SC for the majority of the game. I really do not see a way MSU loses this game. I am even more confident MSU wins this game than I was that MSU would defeat Tennessee(hehe that did not turn out well). That was a wakeup call. And the Bulldogs are in Tournament Mode now. And there is not a team that they are more hungry to defeat than South Carolina. Mississippi State will win 68-57.