Mississippi State football begins the 2017 season this Saturday against Charleston Southern. Man, that felt good to type.
Offseasons are never fun to go through, but this one seemed to creep its way to September even slower than normal. There have been very few storylines to follow for the Bulldogs, and while that can be difficult on those of us who have to write about the team, it means the team will enter 2017 with almost no off field distractions.
The only real news item the Bulldogs will be contending with as the season opens will be the ongoing saga that is the Ole Miss investigation and the testimony Leo Lewis gave to the NCAA. Other than that, it has been smooth sailing for Dan Mullen and the Bulldogs.
Just because there haven’t been many storylines off the field doesn’t mean there aren’t questions that need to be answered. Some of those questions include:
- Will Nick Fitzgerald make a Dak Prescott-like jump from his sophomore season to his junior season?
- Will Aeris Williams show the same prodigious running ability he showed in the last four games of the season?
- Will Donald Gray be the true number one receiver the coaching staff needs him to be?
- Will another receiver step up to complement Gray on the opposite side of the field?
- Will the defense be at least decent in its first season under Todd Grantham?
- How many of the JUCO players Dan Mullen signed will be ready to make immediate contributions in 2017?
- Will Dan Mullen listen to us here at FWtCT and #AlwaysRunNeverPass?
I don't know how any of those questions will be answered yet. But what I can finally tell you is that we start to get some of those answers this Saturday.