Just total domination by Mississippi State tonight as they take a decisive game from Vanderbilt, 51-0. Mississippi State never trailed, they scored early and often, and despite a penalty here and there, they did what they needed to do tonight: win impressively. Here are a few quick thoughts on tonight's win, and then we'll let you all take it away in the comments:
- There really isn't much to take away from tonight other than the fact that MSU did what they needed to do. They scored early; they scored often. They held Vanderbilt without a score the entire game, and they ultimately won an easy game at home big like they were supposed to. With the loss to Alabama, the margin of error is razor thin for State, and they took the first step towards giving themselves a chance to make the playoff tonight with a big win.
- Six guys had 30 yards or more rushing tonight. Ashton Shumpert got a lot of touches after Josh Robinson left the game (no injury, just rest), and he looked good. I'm excited to see more of Ashton next year, as he will be a strong power compliment to Josh if Robinson returns for his senior season. Overall, State ran at ease on Vandy, totalling over 240 yards without really breaking a sweat.
- Dak went for 193/3 and no INTs tonight, which was important. He did throw one, but it was overturned as the defender stepped out of bounds. Dak made all the throws he should have, but the most important thing he did tonight: he looked fully healthy. Kudos to Dan and company for not dialing his number too much on the ground tonight, either. Next week is going to be a battle, so might as well rest your guys as much as possible.
- De'Runnya Wilson never saw the field tonight, but it appears that it was mostly out of precaution to keep the big guy from getting hurt.
- The defense was just filthy tonight, holding Vanderbilt to 228 total yards an ZERO scores. They also forced two interceptions, one of which by Beniquez Brown you can see above. Just a really good game overall by the defense -- 1a and 1b -- as guys made plays all over the field.
- Joe Morrow had a nice game, which was great to see. Joe has been a bit hidden on offense this year with the emergence of other receivers, but he made some big plays tonight and made the most of opportunities, scoring twice.
- The rankings won't matter this week because MSU still needs to beat Ole Miss for a chance at the playoffs, but regardless, it will be interesting to see if they move off of that final spot at #4. MSU certainly did all it needed to to stay there today, but TCU, Baylor and Ohio State are all very, very close. I still think if State beats Ole Miss it will have the wins it needs to get in, although Ole Miss didn't help that cause much today, losing 30-0 at Arkansas.
- This touchdown celebration by MSU freshman Elijah Staley perfectly sums up the night. The Bulldogs performed and had fun doing it, which was in turn a lot of fun for fans to watch:
That's just a few quick thoughts from me. What did you guys and girls see tonight