News and notes will be quick today but there are some things that you guys need to know about. Also, happy Friday!
A word on Friday from my friends above here (Not Safe For Work - Language)
- Most important thing first: State again used strong pitching and got just enough hitting to power past #6 Kentucky 3-1 last night. Another night, another great outing from Chris Stratton, who improved to 10-1 pitching 6 1/3 innings striking out 8 while allowing 6 hits and one measly run. State slugger Wes Rea busted (bursted?) out of a 1 for 41 slump with a 2 RBI single early in the game. That ended up being all the State hurlers needed, as Stratton, Ross Mitchell and Jonathan "Blutarsky" Holder held Kentucky to just 1 run. This pitching staff was again solid across the board as they've been the majority of the year. Groundball machine Kendall Graveman on the bump for the maroon tomorrow as we go for the series win.
- No notes yesterday meant of COURSE I missed NFL contract details on a couple of former Bulldogs. Firstly, former RB Vick Ballard signed a 4 year, $2.24 Million dollar deal with the Colts with a $144,560 signing bonus. Also, Safety Charles Mitchell signed as we touched on Wednesday, but I still can't find the details on it yet. Looked for any Fletcher Cox signing news, but the Eagles website is swamped with news of Lesean McCoy's extension signing.
- Despite a valiant effort, the softball Dogs fell short last night 4-3 to BYU in the Eugene, Oregon regional. Didn't see an Oregon-Portland State score, but I'll go out on a limb and say they'll be playing Portland State in an elimination game.
- Seriously, why aren't voting and telling your friends to vote in our greatest games series of posts? You guys let '04 Florida defeat '97 Auburn. Lots of people upset about that one, but the vote spoke. Make sure you check out the two matchups going on right now: '04 vs. Bama (Bball) vs. '63 vs. Loyola (bball) and '96 vs. Cincy (bball) vs. '02 vs. UK (bball). Fun stuff! And plenty of other matchups to be unvieled in upcoming days. Also, second round kicks off next week.
- Croom has rolled out some great "What Ifs," and yesterday's was another good one. What if we had played all of our home games in Starkville?
- Sutton looks back at the year 1903 that was MSU football #coachstealin'
- Maroon & White Nation on the S. Panola-to-OM pipeline and where they are now.
- State and Baylor have called off the remaining 2 games in their basketball series, writes Marcello.
- Former LSU baseball player Mikie Mahtook would ask that you not do that in his bed, Jim and Cathy:
Whoever Jim and Cathy are. thanks for leaving this wonderful letter under the sheets of my hotel bed. Hope is was fun. twitter.com/MikieMahtook8/…— Mikie Mahtook (@MikieMahtook8) May 18, 2012
The only thing that makes that note better is if it says ROLL TIDE at the bottom
Have a great weekend guys, and here's to hoping we sweep UK!
Follow For Whom the Cowbell Tolls on Twitter.
Like For Whom the Cowbell Tolls on Facebook.