On this, the eleven year anniversary of 9/11, we take a second, each of us, to remember that awful day, those who were affected by it, and how our country has grown stronger in the wake of the tragedy. Never forget.
Yesterday was Dan Mullen press conference day, so lots of good info available via the beat writers and school media officials. Let's get right to it.
- Before we get into the MSU related News and Notes, do yourself a favor and view the latest outstanding piece from LSUFreek. Bravo, sir.
- Tyler Russell was named the SEC Offensive Player of the Week for his performance in Saturday's 28-10 victory over Auburn in Starkville. Russell completed 20 of his 29 passing attempts for 222 yards, 3 TD's and zero interceptions. Russell is the first MSU QB to be given the weekly honor since Don Smith in 1991 (!).
- Mullen held his weekly Monday morning press conference yesterday for media types. Mullen was understandably in a good mood, following last weekend's win, and touched on a few important points going into this week's preparation for Troy University. Here's the video:
Quick hits from the presser via twitter after the jump
- Mullen talked about how this year's team is now in new territory, facing expectations. It's safe to say that State's biggest opponent in the next several weeks will be itself and complacency.
- Dan touched on the fact that Troy has yet to reveal its true offensive identity, relying heavily on the run in the first game against UAB (262 yards rushing), while going mostly with the passing game week 2 against Louisiana Lafayette (528! yards passing).
- The last time an MSU QB won SEC player of the week honors? Try 1991. Mullen joked during the press conference that 6th year senior TE Marcus Green may have been on the team for that one as well:
Mullen is crackin' old man jokes, says he thinks sixth-year senior Marcus Green was here in 1991 the last time an MSU QB got POW honors.— Bob Carskadon (@bobcarskadon) September 10, 2012
- Mullen talked about how the offense will need to control the tempo of the game Saturday night. Can't let Troy dictate the pace.
- There were injury updates as well: Brandon Hill doubtful with a bum ankle, Fr. CB Xavier Grindle is out for the season with a torn ACL, and TE Malcolm Johnson, who has been out thus far this season with a pectoral injury, remains doubtful this week as well.
- Your current leader among active SEC players for receptions? Try MSU's own Chad Bumphis:
Chad Bumphis' 105 career receptions are tops among active players in the SEC.— Kyle Niblett (@KyleNiblett) September 10, 2012
- Seriously if you aren't following Kyle Niblett on twitter, you are missing out, especially on gamedays. Dude has a smorgasbord of good information.
- Troy offensive lineman Jarred Fleming, who is from nearby Louisville (Robbie's neck of the woods) had this to say about cowbells:
- After another week's worth of play in the books, CBS's Jerry Palm sees State in the Gator Bowl versus Nebraska on New Year's Day.
- Tough news for Utah QB Jordan Wynn, who's injury riddled career has been officially ended by yet another shoulder injury.
- This is disturbing and I have no words to explain it.
- Here is State's road uniforms for Saturday, courtesy of Bob Carskadon's twitter/instagram:
That's your news and notes for today folks. Stay classy, San Diego!
Follow FWtCT on Twitter
Like FWtCT on Facebook