The history of the Mississippi St. Bulldogs football program doesn’t allow for fans to gloat about dominance over a program most of the time. But when it comes to Kentucky, the Bulldogs have won seven games in a row, the last of which gave MSU a one game lead in the all time series.
It was 8 years ago that Sylvester Croom led the Bulldogs on to the field against the Kentucky Wildcats and walked away with a loss. So what has changed since then?
- Sylvester Croom was the coach, obviously.
- Mississippi State earned its last at-large berth in the NCAA Tournament.
- This was the final year of Ron Polk 2.0 as the baseball coach.
- The Phillies won the World Series
- The Celtics started the “Big 3” trend in the NBA when they won the NBA Championship with Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, and Paul Pierce.
- George W. Bush was still the president.
- Barack Obama was elected president the first time.
- Fidel Castro stepped down from power in Cuba.
- The average price of gas was $3.39 per gallon.
- The U.S. economy was going in the tank.
- The U.S. Government decided to bail out a bunch of really big banks.
- Apple was only on its second version of the iPhone, the iPhone 3G.
- The Apple App Store was created.
- Google created the Android mobile Operating System.
- Bill Gates retired as Microsoft’s CEO.
- MySpace was still a thing.
- Hulu hit its stride.
- Twitter had been around, but it recorded one of its largest increase in users in 2008.
- The Roku was invented.
- Everyone started podcasting.
While life might not have been that much different, it was still different. Hope you enjoyed this trip down memory lane, and that this list about the last time the Bulldogs lost to Kentucky will still stand after the game Saturday.