We all need a little positivity regarding Mississippi State sports at this point, so to do so, we'll preview the upcoming season of women's basketball.
Head coach Vic Schaefer is entering his 5th season as the leader of the program and he's taken it to an entirely new level - one that very few programs in MSU sports history have ever reached. His Dawgs are preseason ranked #10 and #11 by the AP and USA Today Coaches' polls respectively and have legitimate championship aspirations, particularly conference, but even....dare I say it...national...
First let's look at the known quantities of this team:
- The team returns all 5 starters and 4 more reserves from last year
- That team went to the Sweet 16 for only the second time in program history and also won a school-record 28 games
- 3 returners were on 2015-2016 All-SEC teams - 1st team: Victoria Vivians - All-Defensive: Dominique Dillingham - All-Freshman: Teaira McCowan
- The senior class is only 13 wins away from being the winningest class in program history
- Zion Campbell C 6-3 RFr
- Ketara Chapel F 6-1 Sr.*
- Dominique Dillingham G 5-9 Sr.*
- Jazzmun Holmes 5-8 G So.
- Roshunda Johnson 5-7 G RJr.
- Teaira McCowan C 6-7 So.
- Chinwe Okorie C 6-5 Sr.*
- Breanna Richardson F 6-1 Sr.
- Blair Schaefer G 5-7 Jr.
- Victoria Vivians G 6-1 Jr.*
- Morgan William G 5-5 Jr.*
- Kayla Nevitt
- LaKaris Salter
- Jazmine Spears
- Sherise Williams (graduated)
- Preseason picked to finish #2 in the SEC behind South Carolina according to the coaches
- Multiple members of the team are favorites for All-SEC, All-American teams and various national awards
- Jacaira "Iggy" Allen G 5-10 Fr.
- Ameshya Williams F 6-2 Fr.