The first weekend of official visitors after the dead period has come and gone, and MSU had itself a successful first weekend, landing a commitment from Co-Lin CC TE Darrion Hutcherson. Last weekend's official visitors list was made up of mostly MSU commits, and this weekend's set of visitors is mostly the same. There are a few big targets coming to town this weekend for MSU, though, including McCalla DE Cory Thomas, Birmingham C Jervontius Stallings, and 5* Birmingham CB Marlon Humphrey. Here is this weekend's (mostly) complete set of visitors expected to campus:
- Anthony Brown | Miami, FL | DE | 6'4", 235 lbs | 2*
- Braxton Hoyett | Pelham, AL | DT | 6'3", 285 lbs | 3*
Jordan Harris | Stone Mountain, GA | OG | 6'5", 292 lbs | 3*
- Deshon Cooper | Decatur, GA | OLB | 6'4", 215 lbs | 3*
- Cory Thomas | McCalla, AL | DE | 6'6", 270 lbs | 3*
- Deion Calhoun | Fairfield, AL | OG | 6'3", 310 lbs | 3*
- Will Coleman | Tyler, TX | DE | 6'5", 248 lbs | 3*
- Jervontius Stallings | Birmingham, AL | C | 6'3", 305 lbs | 3*
- [1.26-1.28] Marlon Humphrey | Birmingham, AL | CB | 6'1", 175 lbs | 5*
Obviously, the big name that sticks out here is Humphrey, who MSU has been pursuing hard for well over a year now. Humphrey, as you may recall, was the target of MSU DC Geoff Collins' famous "Can-O-Swag" recruiting letter. Humphrey's father played at Alabama, so the odds are stacked in the Crimson Tide's favor. Still, MSU will do everything it can to try and impress the blue chip recruit enough that he would consider coming to Starkville. Marlon will come in for a visit on Sunday and will stay through Tuesday.
A few other quick notes on this weekend in recruiting:
- MSU commit Jordan Harris was crossed out on this weekend's visitors list, as his visit has been moved to next weekend.
- Earlier in the week it was announced that MSU OL commit Sean Rawlings would visit Ole Miss this weekend. Rawlings supposedly comes from an Ole Miss family, so it is certainly understandable that he would visit Oxford before making his final decision on college. At this time it appears that Rawlings does not have a scholarship offer from the Rebels, but that can obviously change this weekend. Rawlings visited MSU this past weekend.
- It will be interesting to see if MSU can make any headway with McCalla DE Cory Thomas this weekend. Thomas was thought to be a heavy Bulldog lean late last summer, and he even at one point named MSU his leader. That obviously changed, as he committed to Tennessee in the fall, but there does seem to be an opportunity there for MSU to swing him back to their side. Especially given that Tennessee has quite a large class for this season.
- In an interesting late-game move, MSU offered Vanderbilt commit Emmanuel Smith a scholarship yesterday. Smith, who is a safety, is a part of a Vanderbilt class that has fallen completely apart since the departure of James Franklin to Penn State. The late offer makes you wonder if MSU thinks it has a chance here. If nothing else, this will certainly be an interesting case to watch play out.
- Washington state DT prospect Marcus Griffin, who MSU offered only weeks ago, announced earlier in the week that he would be committing on National Signing Day. Griffin was originally scheduled to visit Notre Dame this weekend, but has since cancelled that visit in favor of a visit to Arizona. He will visit MSU next weekend, the last weekend of visits before NSD.
As always, it's a great idea to follow guys like John Farley, Robbie Faulk, Paul Jones, and others this weekend as they do a great job of bringing you any updates, commitments or changes that can occur on these official visits.
Oh, and as always, it's important to remember that these are 17-19 year olds, so things can change at any time. Other people show up, some don't show up, etc. Recruiting is a wild business, and the next few weeks could again prove that to be true.
[visit list via 247sports]