On Saturday’s early segment, managing editor, Landon Young, does this week’s Southeastern Conference pick ‘em challenge with his father, Gerald Young.
My father is the reason I am so crazy about Mississippi State sports. He brought me home from the hospital when I was born in a No. 1 Mississippi State jersey. Growing up, we woke up early every Saturday and watched ESPN College GameDay together while drinking some fresh coffee.
Every week, I call him before Saturday and we discuss who will win this Saturday inside the SEC. We will discuss betting lines, close games, and winners each week.
After the first two weeks of the season, the Pops/Son Challenge is all tied up 1-1.
Here we go:
- New Mexico at No. 7 Texas A&M (-30), noon ET (SEC Network)
Pops: I’ll take New Mexico to cover the 30 points in this one.
Son: New Mexico covers.
- Chattanooga at Kentucky (-32), noon ET (SEC Network+)
Pops: It only takes one mistake... but I’ll take Kentucky.
Son: I’ll take Kentucky to win this one and cover.
- Southeastern Missouri State at Missouri (-34.5), noon ET (SEC Network+)
Pops: Something tells me not to take Missouri, but I’ll take them to cover.
Son: Missouri gains confidence this week and wins big. I’ll take Missouri in this one.
- Tennessee Tech at Tennessee (-40), noon ET (SEC Network+)
Pops: Anytime I get 40 points, I’ll probably take the under. I’m taking Tennessee Tech to cover.
Son: I’m taking Tech to cover the 40 points. That’s a ton of points.
- No. 1 Alabama (-14.5) at 11 Florida, 3:30 p.m. ET (CBS Sports)
Pops: This one is just as hard as the rest of these picks. I’ll take ‘Bama to cover.
Son: I’d really like to see UF cover and this be a game, but I’ll take ‘Bama.
- Georgia Southern at No. 20 Arkansas (-23), 4 p.m. ET (SEC Network)
Pops: I’ll go with Arkansas on this one.
Son: Arkansas is BACK! After a great Week 2, I’m taking the Hogs to cover.
- Mississippi State (-3.5) at Memphis, 4 p.m. ET (ESPN2)
Pops: DAWGS. I won’t go against them.
Son: Our FWtCT logo is riding on this pick... Give me the BULLDOGS!
- South Carolina at No. 2 Georgia (-31.5), 7 p.m. ET (ESPN)
Pops: I’ll take the Gamecocks to cover.
Son: I’ll take UGA. They looked too good last week vs. a decent UAB team.
- No. 22 Auburn at No. 10 Penn State (-5), 7:30 p.m. ET (ABC)
Pops: I’m gonna go with Auburn.
Son: I’ll take Auburn as well. Although, the crowd gives Penn State a slight advantage here.
- Central Michigan at LSU (-19.5), 7:30 p.m. ET (SEC Network)
Pops: LSU SHOULD cover this one.
Son: Yeah... Tigers cover but not by much.
- Tulane at No. 17 Ole Miss (-14), 8 p.m. ET (ESPN2)
Pops: I’m going with the Green Wave to cover the two touchdowns.
Son: I’ll take OM, but I really hope I’m wrong.
- Stanford (-12.5) at Vanderbilt, 8 p.m. ET (ESPNU)
Pops: I’ll take Stanford to cover.