- It was rumored that MSU WR target Jonathon Rumph committed to Georgia on Wednesday. The Bulldogs seem to be pushing for Rumph to go ahead and decide, as lately they have missed on some local receivers. It looks like it will be an MSU/UGA battle, with Tennessee on the outside looking in.
- The Bulldogs are still in on high school running back and current Vanderbilt commitment, Johnathan Ford of New Hope, Alabama. He would likely be used at running back and slot receiver in the MSU offense. It is believed that if the Dawgs pushed the envelope, they could make him a part of the class.
- MSU will host two official visitors this weekend: Elijah Daniel, the 4-star defensive end from Avon, Indiana, and Nate Willis, a JUCO corner from Arizona Western community college. Willis was a South Florida commitment, but decommitted from the Bulls in late September and now is looking at Baylor, Arizona State, West Virginia, and Kansas State, along with MSU, as his possible destinations. Daniel is a current 'soft' commit to Clemson, but is taking official visits to MSU this weekend and Ole Miss next weekend ($).
- The Bulldogs recently got a commitment from a class of 2016 recruit by the name of Robert Washington. Washington, who hails from Huntersville, North Carolina, is on pace to be a premier recruit in his class. He has also vowed to bring a top class with him to Starkville in 2016. Considering the fact that Washington is just now in the 9th grade, it will be interesting to see if the commitment sticks for what seems to be forever in college football recruiting these days. Here are some highlights of his:
Robert Washington Varsity Highlights 2012 (via TheBreadrin)
- Ashton Shumpert seems to be getting ready to narrow down his list soon. However, it has been an Ole Miss/MSU battle for a long time now. Vanderbilt is trying to work their way into the picture lately. Shumpert was in Oxford to see Vandy's come back win over Ole Miss last Saturday. MSU is believed to have a lead at this point.
- A friend of Kailo Moore, Jalen Miller, is a track star at Rosa Fort high school in Tunica, Mississippi. He recently committed to MSU ($) over Ole Miss for track. This is significant news because he says his main reason for becoming a bulldog was to go school with his friend and current teammate, Kailo. This is a good sign for Dan Mullen and company in their efforts to hold onto Kailo as the countdown to signing day continues.
- Earlier this week MSU offered ($) 2014 WR prospect Markell Pack of Purvis, Mississippi. Pack, who weighs in at 180 lbs and stands at 6'2", currently holds offers from both MSU and Ole Miss. He has registered 44 catches for 770 yards and 7 touchdowns this season for the Tornadoes.
- Dutchtown WR Shelby Christy, a current MSU commit, was in Baton Rouge this weekend for the MSU vs. LSU game, taking his unofficial visit to the Tigers ($). Could LSU make a push for Christy late? It will be something to watch, as he attends school just down the road from Baton Rouge.
- The early signing period for college basketball was Wednesday, and Rick Ray has signed three players to his class of 2013:
- I.J. Ready - 5'10" 160-pound point guard from Little Rock, Arkansas. Should be able to run the uptempo offense that Ray is wanting to run in Starkville.
- Travis Daniels - 6'8" 205-pound forward that was previously at Missouri. He comes to MSU by way of Shelton State Community College in Alabama. Talent, but previous behavior issues. Should be a contributor if he stays out of trouble.
- Quantel Denson- 6'9" 225-pound forward that was previously a Missouri commitment. He played last season at Mineral Area community college. Comes in physically developed, with a big upside.
- Those were the three that have signed Letters of Intent already, however, the bulldogs received a commitment on Tuesday that has not gotten his LOI in yet. His name is Fallou Ndoye of Findlay Prep in Nevada. He is a 6'11" 215-pound center. He is very good defensively. He is long and athletic. He has some room to develop on the offensive end, but has a high ceiling.