Mississippi State coaches released the rosters for today's 2016 Maroon and White Spring Game Friday afternoon.
As always, the splitting up of the players draws that attention of fans as it allows an attempt to try to read the tea leaves as to the standing of players on the team.
Here are a few observations from a quick look at the rosters.
1) Perhaps the biggest question going into the 2016 season revolves around the battle to replace Dak Prescott at quarterback. Most have felt that in the end this will be a battle between Elijah Staley and Nick Fitzgerald. Nothing on the roster release makes anyone feel any differently. Fitzgerald and Staley were put on two different squads with Damian Williams and Nick Tiano being split as well. We will now have to watch the playing time for each quarterback to see how it shakes out and perhaps lends more insight.
2) Opportunity is knocking for someone to replace Fred Brown. The Bulldogs lost one of their leading returning receivers from 2015 when Brown was dismissed from the university. While the Bulldogs have had to be creative with their use of receivers due to low numbers because of injury this spring, Saturday may be an opportunity for a new face to shine in Brown's former role. Jesse Jackson (Maroon) and Jonnas Spivey (White) could be the two most likely to replace him, especially based on size. They just happen to be on two different rosters.
3) Who will look the best at the running back position? There is no doubt that the Bulldogs struggled at the running back position in 2015, and if they want a successful 2016 season, that position will have to produce more than it did last year. It should be interesting to see if someone shows out at the position today.
4) All eyes should be on the defense as well. The entire staff turned over from last year, so it will be interesting to see how that side of the ball reacts to the different schemes, terminology, and philosophy on that side of the ball.
5) Will Boobie Dixon score a touchdown?