With college football play completed, other than Army-Navy, the top of the SEC bowl picture and the bottom of the conference's bowl picture looks complete. However, the middle still has many factors at play. SEC fans can feel comfortable that Auburn will square off against Florida State in the BCS Championship game. They can also feel certain that Alabama will play in the Sugar Bowl. On the bottom side, Ole Miss to the Music City Bowl, Vanderbilt to the BBVA Compass Bowl, and Mississippi State to the Liberty Bowl seem like locks.
In the middle of things, LSU, Texas A&M, South Carolina, Georgia, and Missouri still have questions about where they are heading, and those questions will be answered throughout the day today.
Another certainty is that the Rice Owls will be in Memphis to play someone, most likely Mississippi State, on New Year's Eve. With that in mind, here are a few interesting numbers about the Rice Owls.
- 56--The number of years it had been since Rice had captured a conference championship in football. Until they knocked off Marshall Saturday, Rice's last championship came when they won the Southwestern Conference in 1957.
- 3810--The number of undergraduate students at Rice. If you kick in the post-graduate students, the number climbs to 6353, making the school the second smallest in the FBS.
- 67--The percentage of field goals made by Chris Boswell. His only misses have been from beyond 40 yards.
- 7--The number of games that Rice held its opponents to under 20 points in the 2013 season.
- 10--The number of wins for Rice in 2013.
- 50--The number of offensive touchdowns for the Owls this year.
- 24--The number of Rice wins in November or later since 2006.
- 6--The number of times in school history that Rice has won nine or more games. David Bailiff has done this twice, and he is the only coach at Rice to have two 10-win seasons.
- 5533--Total yards produced by the Owls in 2013.
- 2013 Mississippi State bowl selection coverage
- Final 2013 Bowl Projections: MSU seems bound for Liberty, but outside shot at Compass remains
- REPORT: MSU to the Liberty Bowl all but official
- Memphis vs. Birmingham: A (not so) Serious Look as to Which is Really Better
- Liberty Bowl Facebook page adds header image from 07 game with MSU; IS IT A SIGN?!